Wednesday 20 January 2016

January 2016 // Towards A Healthier Life(style)

May we all strive towards a healthier life, in the food that we consume, the way we live our lives, not just with our bodies but with our souls too.

So, January. It is probably a little early to end January favourites now but, why not. 

BOOK(s)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
If there's one thing you should know about me is that I love love love thrillers be it movies/books. I watched Gone Girl in the cinema and disliked it. I found it boring. Thrillers are supposed to keep you on the edge of your seat, your mind running trying to figure out who did what, what actually happened, who is in the right, who is in the wrong, its supposed to give you an adrenaline rush just by watching/reading it. The movie didn't do that. But the book NAILED IT. If you haven't watched the movie I'd recommend you not to watch it at all and just read the book because the book was written very well and I loved every part of it. PDF can be found here.

APP(s)
  • HabitBull 
Minimal design, easy-to-use habit tracker, for those who are trying to get consistent with habits. Available on AppStore and GooglePlay. Website: here. Video showing how it's used: here.
  • Wally
Now that I'm working and earn more than I need, I rarely bat an eyelid when spending, which is BAD because I don't know where the heck all my money goes! This app is cute and colourful, with minimal design. Each day you can just input the amount of the money that you spend under the categories that they have e.g. food and drinks, shopping, fun, etc. 

Website: here. Available on Appstore and PlayStore.
  • Moment
My boss said to me the other day, "WhatsApp has made my life so much easier as it is free of charge and unlimited, but at the same time it also makes life so difficult because we are constantly on our phones. People used to text message, the messaged less but they still manage to get things done!"

Right on.

I have been sort of addicted to my phone, I think. I do "passively stare at the glowing screen," as the minimalists would say. I scroll aimlessly and it doesn't add any value whatsoever in my life. And lets face it, we are all guilty of it. This app helps you keep track of how long you use your phone per day. It's pretty scary. The figures scare me more than the thriller movies I've watched. Yesterday I spent 2-3 hours on my phone, and that was UNDER CONTROL. On weekends I literally binge watch TV shows on my iPad. I don't even want to know how long I spend on it.

I want to regain more of my life, love people and use things. I want to lead a meaningful life, filled with value. And for me, technology can sometimes get in the way. This app doesn't stop you from using your phone. All it does is bring awareness to you on how much you use your phone/etc. Change is in your hands. 

Website: here. Available only on the AppStore.

PODCAST(s)

  • The Minimalists 
I've listened to episode 000,001,002 and am currently halfway through 003. If you haven't heard of The Minimalists, their first podcast (000) is an introductory podcast explaining who they are and their mission(s). 

You can check them out on their website: here. 
And you can find the information of their podcast here.

I really love these guys and their message and it would be great if they could add value into your lives, too!

That is it for now, wasalaam alaykum. <3
Aisyah.