Thursday 14 March 2019

seeking comfort and getting cozy

I seek comfort in Sundays and the calm that comes with not having responsibilites and lazing around with a candle lit up, its scent filling up my bedroom. 

I seek comfort in slow days, the rustling of the trees, the shadow casted by the sun, the sound of birds chirping, walking in the rain, staring at the sky and being amazed - even after 24 years of living - by the vastness of it. 

I seek comfort in malls and cafes, existing on my own while surrounded by other people who are caught up in their own activies - fiddling with their phones, conversing, joking or arguing with their loved ones, eating and drinking.

I am rooted by those around me - by my small circle of friends consisting of less than 10  people (haha), my fluffy cat and my immediate family members who I heavily rely on (emotionally).

It is only natural to seek comfort in moments, places and people. 

However, from time to time, we are snatched away from our sources of comfort. The moments we desperately sought are taken away from us. The don't have time to go to the places we planned to go to. Our loved ones or are far away from us, or hurt us, or worse: they pass, leaving us sad and confused and filled with questions and uncertainties.

In moments like these, I remind myself that we get too.. comfortable. Allah takes them away from us to remind us the only One we can depend on is Him. He is reminding us that He is the ever-present, the only One who can't be taken away from us: regardless of the situation. He is present when we are happy, when we are sad and overwhelmed, when we are crying, when we are filled with absolute joy. He is present when we are in our rooms, our workplace, in the mall, in the cafes, wherever we go, wherever we hide, even in the deepest darkest most hidden part of the world: He is always present. 

Look at the example of Yunus (alayhis salaam) who was swallowed by a whale and remained in its belly. Who knew of his existance except Allah? Who was present except Allah? Who got him out of the whale if not Allah?

Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wasalaam) had a year called the Year of Sorrow because his two biggest support, his wife Khadijah (radiallahu anha) and his uncle, Abu Talib passed away. He was absolutely devastated, but he marched on, because in the end, our only true and biggest supporter is Allah. People pass away, people hurt, people are far away from us. But who can take Allah away from us? Allah is ever-present, Allah heals, Allah is always near us. Always with us. Always supporting us. 

In the end, as much as we would like to depend and rely on moments, places and people, the only true One we can rely on is Allah.

And when My servants ask you concerning Me - indeed I am near. 
I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. 
So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided.
Al Baqarah (2:186)