Friday 26 February 2016

February 2016 // Favourites

1. FEMINISM

I admit that I have problems reconciling my Islaam with feminism sometimes.. Okay, a lot of times. I don't have problems with Islaam itself, I really don't. But I do have problems wanting to learn Islaam (in the path of Quran, sunnah and salaf) and the preachers are very misogynistic, focuses on women's responsibilities and how women are "insufficient" when it comes to everything (apparently) but turn a blind eye when it comes to men, blame women for everything (men committing sins, rape, etc).

...until I found The Salafi Feminist. She speaks of women sahabiyyat, women scholars, misogyny that is present among Muslim men, how the Prophet and sahabah treated women, what the Prophet did in defense againts misogyny, etc! Reading her blog gave me the realisation of how much seerah (biographies) are not spoken about/ focused on, and how much misogyny is swept under the rug.

Article(s) by her:
You can find her here: (TwitterBlogspot)


2. Book(s)
  • Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
I re-read this book which I read probably 3 years ago. Mitch Albom was one of my favourite authors and reading this book reminded me of why and how much I liked his works. Although this book isn't mind-blowingly amazing for me, but I'd still recommend it. Rate: 3.5/5 stars


3. Podcast(s)


4. Lecture(s)
Honestly this is one of my all-time favourite lectures. I find myself revisiting this from time to time to remind myself of how worthless this life is and to rechannel my energy into things that actually matter. It's in Arabic with english subtitles.
5. Zero Waste Life

A lot of us don't really think about nature. This week alone I've seen a man throw 2 plastic bottles from his car window. I thought I was an OK human being when it comes to the environment. Sure, I'm not a treehugger but I do not litter and tell people not to litter. That's good enough, isnt it..?

Unfortunately, it's not. 

Meet Lauren Singer. 
If you've watched Lauren Singer's channel, read her blog and think "But I don't get it, what is zero waste life, why is it important and what the hell are landfills and why shouldn't we fill it up??"  (my thoughts after I found her, haha)

Here's an introduction into landfills.  
I think we can all to do our part in preserving the environment. Maybe Zero Waste Life is a little tough, but take baby steps. Instead using polystyrene or plastics for takeout, bring your own tupperware. Instead of buying drinks, bring your own bottle from home. And try try try to say NO to plastic bags!


That is it for this month. Fi amanillah. <3